|"Black bears can swim like fish, climb like monkeys, and run like tigers. We are the kings of the forest. There is nothing that black bears can't do!"|
|— King to Lusa in The Quest Begins, page 87|
- Coming Soon
- King seems unworried when Ashia become sick, trusting the flat-faces to do what they must do to heal her. When she returns, he greets her affectionately. As Ashia starts to talk about everything she saw—including what was beyond the Bear Bowl - King becomes angry and tells her not to talk of such nonsense. When Lusa asks him about the wild, he gets angry and tells her not to ask questions about it.
- He dismisses Oka to be crazy when she arrives in the Bear Bowl and tells Lusa to stop meeting with her. When Lusa comes to him, asking about the wild, he tells her a few things, but then stops and stomps away in anger.
- Lusa is confused as to why he would get angry since he came from the wild.
- After Lusa is injured by a firebeast, she has a dream in which King and the other bears in the Bear Bowl appear.
- Lusa is shown by Arcturus what her father was like as a cub. King is an energetic cub who loves to play. He is with his mother and sister and they talk about how great the wild is. Lusa feels bad that King is now stuck in the Bear Bowl, and wishes he gets his dream as a cub to become a large tree when he dies.
- Yogi is mistakenly called his son.
- King is the only black bear in the Bear Bowl that was taken directly from the wild.